10 Best Cyber Security Monitoring Tools in 2023
In the modern digital landscape, cybersecurity is more important than ever. With the increasing number of cyberattacks, businesses and individuals must protect their digital assets. One of the most important ways to do this is to partner with a trusted managed security service provider and leverage their expertise and cyber security monitoring tools.
Cyber security monitoring tools collect and analyze data from computer networks and systems to identify potential threats. This data includes network traffic, system logs, and user activity. By monitoring this data, cyber security monitoring tools can help identify suspicious activity that could indicate a cyberattack.
This article explores the significance of cyber security monitoring tools, delving into their essential functions in preserving the integrity and security of digital assets. It also introduces the top 10 cyber security tools in 2023, explaining what makes each unique and how they help protect against online threats.
What is Cyber Security?
At its core, cybersecurity is about safeguarding information and technology assets from cyber-attacks. This involves implementing security measures to prevent, detect, respond to, and recover from threats to data and systems. It is a critical field in the digital age, where our reliance on technology has grown immensely, and with it, there are potential risks to our digital assets.
"Intelligent safety has become paramount in the digital age. Our increasing dependence on technology has created a vast array of digital assets, from personal information to critical business data. Protecting these assets is essential as the potential risks and cyber threats continue to evolve. Advanced solutions like AI-driven threat detection, multi-factor authentication, and encryption play a pivotal role in safeguarding our digital world. As technology advances, so too must our strategies for intelligent safety to ensure the security of our valuable digital resources." - Hari Ravichandran, CEO - Aura
The primary goal of cybersecurity is to protect digital information and help by ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data. It encompasses various technologies, processes, and practices to safeguard information and maintain data confidentiality, integrity, and availability.
The Evolving Cyber Threat Landscape
According to the 2023 Cost of a Data Breach Report published by IBM, the average cost of a data breach in Australia has grown 32% in the last five years, reaching AUD 4.03 million, and the global average price was USD 4.45 million, a 15% increase over three years.
As more people and organizations use cloud services, it's crucial to priorities the security of these environments. At the same time, the increasing use of cryptocurrencies has given cybercriminals new opportunities to carry out their activities. In this situation, it's essential to have strict rules and regulations in place, focus on quickly responding to and recovering from security incidents, and be aware of the risks associated with working with third-party service providers.
It's essential to take proactive measures and work together to stay ahead of the changing threats in the digital world.
To protect against these changing threats, companies and people must remain alert, put strong security measures in place, regularly update their antivirus software, enhance endpoint security, and stay informed about new risks and cybersecurity practices to mitigate potential security vulnerabilities.
Why are cybersecurity monitoring tools important?
Cybersecurity monitoring tools are like digital security guards for companies and organizations. Cybersecurity tracking tools are important because they can help organizations promptly detect and respond to cyber threats. These tools can monitor various activities, including network traffic, system logs, and user behavior. They can also be used to detect malware and other malicious activity. They keep a close watch on computer networks and systems all the time.
Their job is to spot any unusual or harmful activities, such as hackers trying to break in or harmful software sneaking in. When they see something wrong, they sound the alarm so that people can take action to stop the bad stuff from happening. This is super important because it helps prevent big problems like data theft and keeps everything running smoothly. These tools also help companies follow the rules.
Many industries and government bodies require organizations to maintain cybersecurity, network security, and application security to protect sensitive information and customer data. Cybersecurity tools make it easier to do that by showing they are serious about keeping things safe. So, in simple terms, these cyber security tools are like digital security guards that watch over our online stuff and ensure it stays safe and secure.
What roles or functions do cybersecurity tools fulfil?
Cybersecurity tools serve several critical roles and functions in ensuring the security of digital assets and data. They also contribute to various aspects of security, including authentication, authorization, early detection, increased uptime, compliance, enhanced security posture, and data protection:
Authentication and Authorization:
Authentication ensures that users are who they claim to be. Cybersecurity tools establish authentication systems by requiring usernames and passwords, biometrics, or multi-factor authentication (MFA) to grant access. Authorization determines what actions or resources authenticated users are allowed to access. Tools enforce authorization policies, ensuring users can only perform authorized activities, thus safeguarding against unauthorized access.
Cybersecurity tools monitor network and system activities, such as Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) and Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) solutions. They detect suspicious or abnormal behaviour and raise alerts, helping organizations see security incidents early and minimizing potential damage.
Availability is a crucial aspect of security. Cybersecurity tools, like load balancers and disaster recovery solutions, contribute to increased uptime by ensuring systems and services remain accessible even during cyberattacks or hardware failures. They distribute network traffic efficiently and provide redundancies to prevent downtime.
Many cybersecurity tools help organizations adhere to industry-specific regulations and compliance standards. They assist in maintaining the necessary security controls, audit trails, and reporting required for compliance.
Enhanced Security Posture:
Cybersecurity tools continuously assess the organization's security posture. Vulnerability scanners identify weaknesses in systems and applications, helping priorities and apply security patches. Security awareness training tools educate employees, reducing the human factor in security breaches.
Data encryption tools protect sensitive information at rest and in transit, ensuring confidentiality. Encryption makes data unreadable to unauthorized parties. Data loss prevention (DLP) solutions monitor and control data transfers, preventing unauthorized data leakage.
Cyber Security Monitoring Tools
Wireshark allows network administrators, cybersecurity professionals, and developers to examine network traffic to diagnose problems, identify security threats, and gain insights into network behavior. It is a powerful network protocol analyzer. It allows cybersecurity professionals to capture and analyse network traffic in real-time.
- Packet Capture: Wireshark captures network packets in real-time or from saved files, providing detailed information about each packet, including source and destination addresses, protocols, and payload data.
- Protocol Decoding: It can dissect and display a wide range of network protocols, making it easier to understand the content and purpose of network traffic.
- Filtering and Search: Users can apply filters and search capabilities to pinpoint specific packets or patterns of interest.
- Customization: Users can create custom display and capture filters to focus on specific network activities or address cybersecurity concerns.
Webroot provides a comprehensive suite of tools that serve the needs of network administrators, cybersecurity professionals, and developers. It offers endpoint protection solutions, including antivirus and anti-malware features.
- Real-time Threat Intelligence: Webroot uses cloud-based threat intelligence to identify and block threats as they emerge. It swiftly identifies and neutralizes emerging security threats, akin to a vigilant guardian safeguarding the network.
- Behavioral Analysis: It employs behavioral analysis to detect and thwart unknown malware and ransomware.
- Web Filtering: Webroot can filter web traffic to prevent users from accessing malicious websites. It filters out harmful websites and content, ensuring users avoid malicious online places.
OSSEC is an open-source host-based intrusion detection system (HIDS) and security information and event management (SIEM) tool. Some of its security features are:
- Log Analysis: OSSEC collects and analyses log data from various sources to detect suspicious activities.
- Real-time Alerts: It provides real-time alerts for security incidents, allowing rapid response. It promptly notifies users of security incidents as they occur, ensuring swift responses to potential threats.
- File Integrity Monitoring: OSSEC monitors file changes to detect unauthorized modifications. It acts as a safeguard, ensuring the integrity and security of important data.
4. SolarWinds Security Event Manage
The SolarWinds Security Event Manager is a robust Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) solution designed to enhance cybersecurity.
- Log Management: This cybersecurity software gathers and connects log data from various sources across the network to detect potential threats.
- Threat Intelligence Feeds: It integrates threat intelligence feeds to stay updated on emerging threats.
- Automated Response: It can automate responses to common security incidents, reducing the need for manual intervention. This automation helps in quickly mitigating security threats.
Nmap (Network Mapper) is a versatile, open-source cyber security tool for network monitoring and exploration.
- Network Discovery: Nmap can discover devices and services running on a network. It finds what's connected and running on a network, helping administrators understand its structure.
- Vulnerability Scanning: It identifies open ports and potential vulnerabilities. Identifying open doors and potential vulnerabilities assists in assessing the network's security posture.
- Scriptable: It is adaptable and scriptable, meaning users can create custom scripts or extensions. This allows them to tailor Nmap to their needs and add extra functionality, like customising a tool to fit a particular job.
Intruder is a cloud-based vulnerability scanning tool that excels in continuous scanning, prioritization of vulnerabilities, and integration with other essential tools.
- Continuous Scanning: The intruder serially conducts scans. This allows it to promptly identify new vulnerabilities as they surface, ensuring that organizations remain vigilant in addressing emerging threats.
- Prioritization: It ranks vulnerabilities by severity to help organizations focus on critical issues. This prioritization assists organizations in directing their attention and resources towards addressing essential security issues first.
- Integration: IT integrates with popular collaboration and security tools in the organization. This integration streamlines workflows, facilitating efficient communication and coordinated efforts among cybersecurity professionals
7. Kali Linux
Kali Linux is a Debian-based distribution designed for penetration testing and ethical hacking. It is purposefully crafted for penetration testing and ethical hacking endeavors.
- Extensive Toolset: It comes pre-installed with various security testing tools. These tools are readily available, making it a go-to platform for ethical hacking and penetration testing professionals.
- Community Support: Kali Linux has a large and active user community for support and updates. This community actively contributes to its development, offers support, and keeps the platform up-to-date with cybersecurity advancements.
- Customization: Users can tailor their Kali Linux installations to suit their needs. This flexibility allows cybersecurity professionals to create personalized environments that meet their testing needs.
Metasploit is a penetration testing framework that helps security professionals assess and exploit vulnerabilities.
- Exploit Database: Metasploit maintains an extensive database of known vulnerabilities and exploits. This helps security experts understand and address potential threats.
- Payloads: It allows users to generate and deploy various payloads to test system vulnerabilities. These payloads are like digital tools that can be used to test the vulnerabilities of computer systems.
- Reporting: It provides detailed reports on vulnerabilities and their exploitation. These reports are invaluable in understanding the security posture of systems and networks.
9. Perimeter 81
Perimeter 81 is a secure access service edge (SASE) platform known for its advanced security and access control features.
- Zero Trust Network Access follows a zero-trust model for secure access to applications and resources. This approach ensures secure access to applications and resources by requiring authentication and authorization, even within trusted networks.
- Cloud-Native: Perimeter 81 is designed to work seamlessly with cloud resources. t seamlessly integrates with cloud resources, ensuring users can securely access applications and data hosted in the cloud without compromising security.
- User-Friendly: It offers a user-friendly interface for policy management and access control. This ease of use empowers administrators to efficiently configure security settings and users to navigate access controls without hassle.
Burp Suite is a popular, versatile web security tool that combines web application scanning, proxy interception, and detailed reporting to help organizations effectively identify and address vulnerabilities in their web applications.
- Web Application Scanning: Burp Suite identifies and tests vulnerabilities in web applications. It excels as a digital detective by scanning and scrutinizing web apps for potential security weaknesses.
- Proxy Intercept: It allows users to inspect and modify web traffic, making it invaluable for testing and verifying security measures.
- Reporting: Burp Suite generates detailed vulnerability reports for remediation. These reports provide detailed insights into security issues, aiding remediation.
How can you access or get the above Cyber Security Tools?
It is essential to get these cyber security tools to make your digital world safer and protect your online information. These tools are your allies in safeguarding digital assets and data. You can access these tools using the following methods:
Direct Contact with Tool Providers:
You can visit the official websites or contact the companies who create and distribute these tools. You can usually find information on downloading, licensing and purchasing choices on their websites. You can purchase the tools directly from the developers, giving you complete control over deployment and management.
Managed Security Service Providers (MSSPs):
Alternatively, you can work with a Managed Security Service Provider. MSSPs are specialist businesses that provide complete cybersecurity services, such as access to a suite of security technologies. They handle the tool installation, maintenance, and monitoring on your behalf. This method may be advantageous if you outsource cybersecurity difficulties to professionals while concentrating on your primary business.
MSSPs act as cybersecurity partners, assisting enterprises in improving their security posture, detecting and responding to attacks, and ensuring the integrity of their digital assets. They provide customized solutions to meet unique security requirements and maintain a proactive approach to cybersecurity.
These various cyber security tools provide security teams valuable insights, situational awareness, and actionable intelligence, empowering them to hunt for threats and vulnerabilities proactively. Additionally, these tools contribute to compliance with regulatory requirements by providing continuous monitoring and generating audit trails.
By leveraging these advanced monitoring tools, organizations can strengthen their cybersecurity defenses, stay ahead of evolving threats, and protect their valuable assets from malicious threats.