Working remotely has a lot to do with the way we work, communicate and manage. Though it has a lot of positives, it has its own challenges. Hiring remote employees or building your remote team is one among them.
Hiring a remote employee is not just about finding the person with the right technical skills. It’s also about finding their adaptability/ suitability in a remote working setup.
Tips to hire best remote employees
- Know where you have to find them
To source the right candidates, use the right platform. Example: Angellist, WeWorkRemotely, Remotive etc.
- Know what you're looking for
Have a detailed JD ready beforehand and align your interview process and interviewers according to it.
- Test for remote ready skills
To hire a remote employee, check for important remote working skills like great communication, self-management, his/ her ability to work as a remote employee, etc.
- Multiple interview methods
Using multiple modes like mails, phone screen, video call and even document collaboration allow you to check for the candidate’s abilities across these channels. Moreover you get to holistically cover written and verbal communication skills, responsiveness, among others.
- Have pre-employment assessments to test tech skills. You can also try paid trials for a week or two.
- Judge their comfort and interest around remote work.
- Understand the motivation behind working remotely.
- Check if the candidate has prior experience working remotely.
15 Best Remote Hiring Solutions
Listed below are the top 15 remote hiring solutions, covering contract, employee, full-time and part-time roles.