How to stream Hulu on Discord? (without black screen)
Written by: Hrishikesh Pardeshi, Founder at Flexiple, buildd & Remote Tools.
Last updated: Jan 19, 2023
Discord is a free voice and text chat app that is designed for gamers. It was released in May of 2015. The app has been growing in popularity ever since its release, and it has grown to be the most popular messaging app for gamers, with over 150 million registered users.
However, apart from gamers, people use Discord for many different reasons. On this platform, you can join thousands of interesting communities and connect with people who share your interests.
The best thing about Discord is the ability to create private servers where users can send private and group text messages as well as make voice calls to friends. Another unique feature is the ability to share videos and pictures directly from your computer screen with others on your server.
This is known as the Go Live feature and allows you to broadcast your screen to other people. This feature was primarily designed to live-stream your video game and supports a range of games, including Minecraft, Roblox, CS:GO, and many more.
Apart from streaming games, you can also stream the latest movies and TV shows from Hulu using Discord. Before we get into that, let's first learn what Hulu is.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- What is Hulu?
- How to stream Hulu on Discord?
- How to stream Hulu on Discord without the black screen?
- How to stream Hulu on Discord on Fire TV/ Android TV?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is Hulu?
Hulu is a video streaming site that offers users access to thousands of shows and movies. It has a huge collection of blockbusters, cult-classics, rom-coms and full TV series spanning all decades, genres & languages.
It also offers live streaming of a number of channels including Fox, NBC, ABC, Comedy Central, Disney, ESPN and many others.
In 2022, its parent company Disney reported that Hulu has 45.6 million paid subscribers. This makes Hulu among the top 10 streaming services in the United States. Hulu has become increasingly popular due to its vast content library, ease of use, and lower subscription fee than Netflix. So, in the next section, we explain how to stream Hulu on Discord.
How to stream Hulu on Discord?
One of the best ways to spend time with friends is to watch movies and TV shows together. In particular, Hulu offers a great selection of video content and is available on a wide range of devices.
So, if you are looking to have a good time with your friends, then you can follow the steps on how to stream Hulu on Discord:
- To begin with, you would need the desktop version of Discord in order to stream Hulu on Discord. So, if you haven't already downloaded the desktop version of Discord, you can do so by visiting Discord’s website and selecting the right operating system. Note: If you use the web version of Discord on your PC, then you won't be able to stream Hulu on Discord.
- Next, open the Discord desktop application and enter your credentials to log in to the app.
- Then, go to your internet browser (Chrome, Safari or Microsoft Edge) and visit the Hulu website page. Log in and select the show that you want to stream.
- Now, go back to the Discord application and click on the ‘Settings’ icon in the left corner of your screen.
- In the side menu, go to ‘Registered Games’ under the ‘Activity Settings’. Next, click on ‘Add it’.
- Select the internet browser you used to open the Hulu website from the available options. For instance, if you used Google Chrome, select the same option.
- Next, go to the server where you want to stream the Hulu content and select a voice channel.
- You will notice a ‘Share Screen’ option on the bottom left corner above your username. Click on this option to open a popup window.
- On this screen, you can adjust the resolution and the frame rate according to your preferences. By default, the 720p resolution at 30 frames per second is chosen. But if you have a Nitro plan, then you can choose a higher resolution and a frame rate.
- Finally, hit the ‘Go Live’ button to start streaming Hulu on Discord.
Now, your friends on the Discord server can simply click on the ‘Live’ button in the voice channel and join your online Hulu stream. After you are done watching videos with your friends, you can click on the end call button in order to stop streaming.
How to stream Hulu on Discord without the black screen?
While streaming on Discord, some users might face a black screen issue. Simply put, the only thing you would see on Discord would be a black screen when you start the stream.
This is because hardware acceleration would have been enabled on your browser.
Here are the steps you need to follow to disable Hardware Acceleration on Google Chrome:
- Open the Google Chrome internet browser and click on the menu in the top right corner of your screen.
- Next, select the ‘Settings’ option.
- In the sidebar menu, click on the ‘System’ option.
- On this page, you will see a toggle option that allows users to use hardware acceleration when available. Disable this option and then restart your Chrome browser.
- Once you have deactivated hardware acceleration, you can now stream Hulu on Discord without any issues.
To disable hardware acceleration on your Discord application, here are the steps that you can follow:
- Open the Discord application on your Windows desktop or Mac.
- Next, go to the ‘Settings’ by clicking on the gear icon on the left corner of your screen.
- Then, go to the ‘Voice and Video’ category and disable the ‘Video Codec’ option. This will disable the hardware acceleration.
How to stream Hulu on Discord on Fire TV/ Android TV?
Nowadays, most of us are used to watching movies on laptops and mobile devices.
But watching them on a big TV screen provides an unmatchable experience. They have a high-resolution screen and better sound quality, which enhances the viewing experience.
So, if you want to learn how to stream Hulu on Discord on Fire TV/ Android TV, then make sure to follow the steps below:
- Firstly, make sure that you have a smart TV. Next, download the Airscreen app on your TV. Airscreen is a wireless streaming receiver for Airplay, Cast, Miracast and DLNA. It allows you to mirror your laptop screen to your TV.
- Once you have installed Airscreen, open the app. Chromecast and Miracast will be automatically enabled on your Android TV or Fire TV Stick.
- Next, on the bottom right side of your Windows PC, go to the action centre and select Project. Choose “Connect” and select the directly chosen device.
- From the menu, select Android TV or Fire TV. Now, you would be able to stream Hulu on Discord on Fire TV/ Android TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why am I facing a black screen issue while streaming Hulu on Discord?
The black screen issue is caused by having hardware acceleration enabled on your browser. In order to disable hardware acceleration on Chrome, open the application and click on the menu in the top right corner of your screen. Next, choose the ‘Settings’ option. In the sidebar menu, click on the ‘System’ option. On this page, you would be able to disable the hardware acceleration.
2. Can I stream content on a public server?
Most content on Hulu is protected under copyright laws. Therefore, before streaming on a public server, be sure to follow the guidelines and avoid streaming anything that could put you in a difficult position.
3. Is it legal to stream Hulu on Discord?
Streaming Hulu on Discord is not completely legal. However, if you are just using the platform fairly, then there shouldn't be a problem. Basically, fair use means watching it with a few of your friends. But you might run into trouble if you are streaming it with a large group or on public channels.