Written by: Hrishikesh Pardeshi, Founder at Flexiple, buildd & Remote Tools.
Last updated: Jan 19, 2023
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Delete Discord Appdata files
- First, close Discord completely. Open Windows Task Manager by clicking ‘Ctrl + Shift + Esc’. Select Discord from the list of programs. At the bottom of the window, select ‘End Task’. This will kill all existing Discord operations.
- Then, press ‘Windows key’ + ‘R’ to open the ‘Run’ application. Here, type ‘%AppData%’ and click on ‘OK.’
- Now you will be shown a list of app folders under ‘Roaming’. Find Discord in the list, right click and press ‘Delete’.
- Again open Run (Windows key + R) and type ‘%LocalAppData%’ into the text-box. Locate Discord in this Local app files list, too and delete in the same manner as above.
- Shut down and restart your PC to completely close all operations.
Uninstall and reinstall the Discord app
In case the above wasn’t enough, you can also delete the Discord app from your device after step ‘4’ in the above steps. First, delete the Discord file from App Data (Local and Roaming) as given above, until the 4th step. Once done, do the following to delete and reinstall the app.
- Access Windows Settings by pressing ‘Windows key + I’. From the Settings menu, go to ‘Apps’.
- Select Discord from the list, press ‘Uninstall’ and confirm the choice.
- Now, download the DiscordSetup file from the official website. Open the file and complete the installation process. Grant permissions as required.
- Login to your account and check if you are able to use Discord. If the error persists, check out one of the below fixes.
Some antivirus apps quarantine Discord files during installation. This bars Discord from functioning with these and causes the error. You’d need to whitelist these files on your antivirus so that they can run smoothly. However, the whitelist process differs based on the antivirus software you use.
If you use Avast, you can whitelist the file through a few simple steps. Go to ‘Open Avast user interface’ → ‘Protection’ → ‘Virus Chest’. Here, add exceptions to files that contain Discord or something similar in their name. Also, add the Discord file as an exception to avoid future instances. Do so by going to ‘Menu’ → ‘Settings’ → ‘General’ → ‘Exceptions’.
On McAfee, you can check if Discord has been quarantined by going to ‘Settings’ → ‘Quarantined items’. Select and restore any Discord file which is quarantined by the software. Open Discord and check if the app is working well.
Similarly, you can follow this for any antivirus software. The process would differ depending on the Antivirus brand you use, but the idea is the same. You need to make sure that the software isn’t quarantining Discord files. You can Google how to remove files from quarantine for your software for additional help. If this doesn’t work, check out the below solutions.
Toggle administrator permissions
- Press ‘Windows key + S’ to open the search bar. Here, type ‘Discord’ and go to the file location.
- Select the file and right click. Go to ‘Properties’ → ‘Compatibility’. Uncheck the ‘Run this program as an administrator’ option. Check if the problem persists.
- Alternatively, you can try checking the option and running the app as an administrator. Although it’s best not to run programs as an administrator without knowing it thoroughly.
Configure qWave service settings
- Open the Run application by clicking the ‘Windows key’ + ‘R’.
- Type ‘services.msc’ in the Run text box, and click on ‘OK’.
- Now, you will be shown a list of local services. Scroll through the list to find ‘Quality Windows Audio Video Experience’.
- Check the status of this service. If it says ‘Running’, right click on the service and select ‘Stop’ from the menu.
- Then, right click on it again and select ‘Start’ to start the process afresh. If the status wasn’t ‘Running’, you can start it directly.
- Next, right click on the service and go to its properties. Here, under ‘General’, you should be able to see the ‘Startup type’ option.
- Open the dropdown menu and select ‘Automatic’. Click ‘OK’ to confirm once done.
- Open Discord and check if it functions well.
⇾ ICE Checking Discord - What it means and how to fix this
⇾ Discord Private Channel - How to make an exclusive channel on Discord
⇾ What is Steamworks Common Redistributables?