How to uninstall BetterDiscord - 2 easy methods to remove BetterDiscord
Written by: Hrishikesh Pardeshi, Founder at Flexiple, buildd & Remote Tools.
Last updated: Jan 19, 2023
So you like the new backgrounds that you've been using on Discord, thanks to BetterDiscord. But, the fact that the app is illegal bugs you. Although Discord has not banned anyone for using it, you want to be on the safe side of the law. Hence, it might be time to uninstall BetterDiscord.
It can be tough to figure out how to uninstall the BetterDiscord application. But, it's not difficult to do so once you figure out what you need to do. In the below sections, we've given all the steps on how you can uninstall the BetterDiscord app. You can follow any of the methods depending on what works best for you.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Why uninstall BetterDiscord?
- How to uninstall BetterDiscord using the app installer
- Completely uninstall and Reinstall Discord
- Removing file from Windows AppData
- Changed your mind?
Why uninstall BetterDiscord?
BetterDiscord is a great extension that adds some cool features to your Discord app. But, the application isn't legal. It is in violation of Discord's terms of service. And due to this, Discord has the right to ban any users making use of the application.
There have also been cases where users have found issues with the BetterDiscord application. Further, the developers of BetterDiscord discontinued the original BetterDiscord extension. Now, the new, Bandaged Better Discord is in use.
Whatever your reason for removing BetterDiscord, this article will help you do so.
How to uninstall BetterDiscord using the app installer
If you are someone who does not uninstall the installer after adding an app, then this is the easiest method. Even if you did uninstall the file on downloading the BetterDiscord app, then you can use this method. If you're confused about what the app installer is, it's the '.exe' (Windows) or '.DMG' (Mac) file you download at the start.
To use this, first check if you have the file already present on your system. Check the downloads folder to determine this, or perform a general search. If not, then you can download the installer from this link.
- Now, to uninstall the app, open the BetterDiscord installer. Check the box to accept the license agreement.
- Click 'Next', and from the available options, select 'Uninstall BetterDiscord'.
- From the next screen, choose the Discord version you're using by clicking on it.
- Press 'Uninstall'. The uninstallation process will complete in a few seconds. Now press 'Close'.
Discord will now open without the BetterDiscord extension.
If Discord was open during the process, you'll see that it will close for a brief while and open without the extension.
You can now delete the BetterDiscord installer from your device.
Completely uninstall and Reinstall Discord
In most cases, the above steps should work. If for some reason they don't, then check this method out. Completely removing Discord as well as the BetterDiscord file should work.
- Go to Windows Settings by pressing 'Windows key' + 'I'
- Here, go to 'Apps' and locate Discord in the list.
- Select it and press 'Uninstall'. Confirm the action.
- Now, go to the Windows Run application (Windows key + R). Type in '%AppData%' and press 'OK'.
- Right click on the BetterDiscord folder and delete it.
- To reinstall the Discord app, go to Discord's official website and press 'Download for Windows'.
- Follow through the process for your device.
Now, open and setup Discord again. You should see that it's installed without the BetterDiscord extension.
To uninstall the app and extension on MacOS,
- Open 'Finder' from the panel in the bottom, select 'Applications'. You will find this on the left side of the screen.
- Now, locate Discord from the list of apps shown. Right-click and select 'Move to trash'.
- You now need to remove the Discord app data completely from your Mac. To do this, go to 'App Menu' --> 'Go'
- From the drop-down, select 'Go to Folder'
- Type '~/Library' in the search box, select 'Go'
- Locate the Discord file in the window shown, right click and press 'Move to Trash'
- To reinstall the app, go to Discord.com on your browser and select the 'Download' option. Install the app once downloaded.
Open Discord and check if the BetterDiscord extension is still in use.
Removing file from Windows AppData
You might have seen steps in blogs directing you to remove the BetterDiscord folder. But, this doesn't work as BetterDiscord is integrated in Discord. Hence, you can use the above method of removing the Discord app as well as the BetterDiscord files. In case both do not seem to work, contact Discord Support.
Changed your mind?
If you managed to uninstall BetterDiscord, but now regret it, you can re-install it with ease. At this link, find the steps to do so, as well as more information about the BetterDiscord extension.
⇾ Is BetterDiscord not working? - 8 sureshot ways to fix the issue
⇾ Top 10 Best Twitch Name Generators in 2021
⇾ How to Add Interests on LinkedIn
⇾ How to Recover Incognito History on Android Phone
⇾ Alternatives to The Top Chat