The Remote Weekly goes out every Wednesday and brings to you original content, product tips and latest stories around remote working.
Characteristics, team size, and performance of a Scrum development team
At the end of each sprint, the development team delivers a releasable product. The teams are organized in such a way that each one is responsible for their own work. This increases the potential and the final result of the team as a whole in an efficient way. The below points give complete details about a Scrum development team. To get the most out of it, work on imporving the dynamics of the group in a well planned manner.
Characteristics of development team:
1. Each and every developer in the team is self-motivated. The scrum master doesn’t have to have to keep their team members/ developers about their responsibilities to release a product
2. This team will consist of people with different functional expertise to develop a product in its entirety
3. Usually in a scrum development team, there’s only one exclusive title which is - developer
4. In a scrum development team, there are no subsections/ groups even when there are different domains which are business analysis, testing, etc.
5. Though the individual developers in the scrum development team are responsible for different features/ functionalities, the answerability belongs to the whole development team
Development team size:
Scrum always considers small-sized teams to be the most workable one. The recommended size of a scrum would range between 3-9.
What if the scrum team size is lesser than 3?
- The team would suffer to be cross-functional
- Productivity gain would be lesser
What if the scrum team size is greater than 9?
- Coordination and organization would be tough
Large development teams generate too much complexity for an observed process to be helpful, in general. It’s not a set number that the scrum team size should always be between 3-9. The team is at its discretion to set the appropriate scrum team size based on the team and product.
Note: Owners of the product and scrum masters are not included in the count of scrum team size until they are involved in the sprint backlog.