How to change the background color on Google Docs? [3 Steps]
Written by: Hrishikesh Pardeshi, Founder at Flexiple, buildd & Remote Tools.
Last updated: Jan 19, 2023
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Google Docs is a hugely popular online word processing tool that is offered by Google. You can create, edit, and share documents online and access them from any computer.
Apart from the powerful editing and styling tools, Google Docs also offers many options for customization. One such feature is the ability to change the background color of a document.
By default, Google Docs has a white background color on each page. But, sometimes if you want to make a presentation or to create an appealing and colorful document, you would need to change the background color on your pages.
Therefore, in this article, we will explain how to change background color on Google Docs in three easy steps.
How to change background color on Google Docs?
- Open the document on Google Docs
- Select ‘File' from the navigation bar and go to the ‘Page' Setup menu
- Choose the background color and confirm
First, open Google Docs and go to the document in which the background color needs to be changed. Next, select the ‘File’ option from the navigation bar at the top left
From this menu, find the ‘Page setup’ option and select it.
Then, a pop-up box will appear. In the next step, go to the ‘Page color’ section and choose the color that you want to change to from the existing presets.
Tip: If you would prefer to use a specific color instead of the existing presets, click on the ‘Custom’ option and enter the HTML color code.
Finally, click on ‘OK’ to confirm and make the changes.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I set a default background color on Google Docs?
You can set a default background color on Google Docs with the following steps:
- Go to your document in Google Docs
- Select the ‘File’ option
- Enter the ‘Page setup’ menu
- Choose the background color that you want to set. At the bottom of the screen, you will see that there is a ‘Set as default’ option on the ‘Page setup’ menu. Finally, choose the ‘Set as default’ option and click ‘Ok’. All future new documents will include these settings
2. How to change background color on the Google Docs mobile app?
Here's how you can set your document's background color in the Google Docs mobile app:
1. Go to the Google Docs mobile app and open a document.
2. First, click on the edit icon at the bottom of the screen. Then, tap the menu icon that has three dots on the top-right corner.
3. After that, select the option labeled ‘Page Setup’.
4. In this menu, choose ‘Page Color’. Use the slider at the top to choose an existing color and then pick a color shade. After selecting, choose the back button to confirm your changes.
5. After you exit the ‘Page Setup’ menu, you will notice that the background color has been changed.
3. Can I add custom background colors with the Google Docs mobile app?
In the Google Docs mobile app, it is not possible to add custom background colors or use HEX color codes. You can only choose from the existing presets in your mobile app. However, you can add a custom background color to your document using the web application.
4. Will Google Docs print my document with the background color?
Yes, Google Docs prints the document with a background color if it is set.
5. Can I apply different colors to separate pages in a Google Docs document?
No, it is not possible to have different background colors for separate pages on a single document. But, you can create a similar effect by spreading out your content over multiple Google Docs files and changing the page colors for each document separately.
⇾ How to do a Superscript in Google Docs
⇾ How to Double Space in Google Docs
⇾ How to Add Page Numbers in Google Docs
⇾ How to Search for a Word in Google Docs (Find and Replace)
⇾ How to do Subscript and Superscript in PowerPoint
⇾ How to turn off comments on Facebook posts