How to fix Discord Echo on Voice Call and Stream?
Written by: Hrishikesh Pardeshi, Founder at Flexiple, buildd & Remote Tools.
Last updated: Apr 18, 2023
Discord is a powerful VOIP platform that is used by gamers from all over the world. This instant messaging application allows users to host communities on Discord servers so they can casually hang out at one place online. You can chat with your friends, stream music together, and even play games.
Due to the number of customizable features plus the versatile app integrations, Discord is the go-to platform for many users. Especially for gamers, Discord is a great platform to watch and play games together.
Now talking to your mates while playing the game is very important when you are playing as a team. The interaction over a voice call is part of your gaming experience. So any sort of Discord echo in the background can entirely ruin the game experience.
This Discord echo could just be random static noise in the background or you might hear your own amplified voice instead of the other players.
This is a common issue that most users face on Discord. Hence, Discord recently partnered with the noise suppression software company Krisp to improve the overall quality of their calls and remove the Discord echo.
But if the echo still persists, we have a few ways you can get rid of the background noise. In this article, we list down the instructions to remove Discord echo from your voice calls for the Windows, Mac, and Android Discord application.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Why is there a background echo on Discord voice calls?
- How to fix Discord Echo on your PC
- How to fix Discord Echo on your Mac
- How to fix Discord Echo on your Mobile Phone
- What to do if Discord Echo Cancellation is not Working?
Why is there a background echo on Discord voice calls?
Before we tell you how to fix this issue let’s first understand the possible causes behind Discord echo. A few main causes can be:
- The Noise Suppression feature is disabled on Discord.
- There is some issue with your headsets or your microphone jack.
- The voice breakage can occur if the volume is too high.
- If you have inserted your headsets into the keyboard jack instead of the microphone jack.
- Poor internet connection at your end or your friends’ end can also cause static noise.
- If your microphone happens to be very close to a wall or any surface that doesn’t absorb the sound, it can cause an echo.
- Not using a good quality microphone can also be one of the reasons for this issue.
Some of these reasons can be fixed easily by the user by just changing the microphone they use or switching to a better network. But if this issue only occurs on voice calls over Discord then you might need a fix.
Below we have included all the instructions to help you solve this issue entirely so you can enjoy your calls on Discord with the background echo.
How to fix Discord Echo on your PC
If you are using the Discord application on your Windows computer then here’s how you can fix this issue. You’ll have to make a few tweaks on both the Discord settings and your PC settings. So everything works synchronously to avoid the background echo entirely from all your voice calls.
First, let’s dive into the Discord settings. Keep reading to know more.
- First, open the Discord app on your Windows pc.
- Click on the “Settings” button and go to the “Voice & Video” tab
- You’ll have to make sure that the selected Input and Output devices are correct.
- Next, under the Advanced settings, you’ll have to click on the toggle button to enable the Noise Suppression setting.
- Enable the Echo Cancellation setting next
- Scroll down further to find the “Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority” setting. You can enable it if it’s disabled or disable it if it’s turned on. See what status works best for your call.
- Scroll down a bit further to find the “Audio Subsystem” setting. Select this to the “Standard” option.
That’s all for the Discord settings. If you are already on the call and are experiencing Discord echo you can click on the noise suppression button and see if that helps. Otherwise, you can follow the above instructions.
Your computer sound settings can also cause the voice call to echo. So next we dive into the Windows settings.
- Open the Windows settings by searching “Settings” on the search bar.
- Go to System -> Sound
- Check if the selected Input and Output devices are accurate, especially if you are using an external mic or microphone.
- Next, under the Related Settings, click on “Sound Control Panel”, a pop-up window will open up.
- In the Playback tab, make sure the device you are using is set up as default.
- You can do this by right-clicking on the particular device and selecting the properties option. Go to Spatial sound and turn it on. Finally, click on Apply and then select Ok.
- Next, go to the Recording tab and make sure the device you are using to record is set as default.
- Next right-click on the device and go to properties and select the Listen tab.
- Under the “Listen” tab check the “Listen to this device” checkbox.
Finally, after making these changes and setting up your devices you need to restart your computer and check if the Discord echo is gone.
How to fix Discord Echo on your Mac
Mac users can follow these steps to eliminate Discord echo from their application. Firstly you can make the same Discord settings mentioned above for Windows users. You can also tweak some computer settings to enhance the quality of your voice calls.
- At the top left corner, click on the Apple icon and select System Preferences.
- Click on the Sound icon and go to the input tab.
- Under the tab, if the “Use ambient noise reduction” box is checked, uncheck it.
Restart the computer and check if the Discord echo is reduced.
How to fix Discord Echo on your Mobile Phone
If you are experiencing echo while using the Discord app on your phone, here’s how you can fix it.
- Open the Discord app on your mobile phone
- Click on the Discord icon at the bottom right corner to open the User Settings.
- Scroll down to find the “Voice and Video” option under the App settings.
- Here enable the “Noise Suppression” setting and the “Echo Cancellation” setting.
If the echo is not reduced try restarting your phone and checking again.
What to do if Discord Echo Cancellation is not Working?
If the Echo cancellation settings are already enabled but there is still persistent Discord echo on your voice calls then keep reading a few fixes that we have mentioned below.
- Try to turn off the Discord “Echo Cancellation” setting for a while and turn it on again before the call. It is better you restart your device after turning off the setting. This should most probably fix the issue.
- Make sure the Noise Suppression setting is also enabled along with the Echo Cancellation setting, as mentioned in the Discord settings guide above. You can also enable the Auto Sensitivity Setting and see if that helps.
- If all your Discord settings are set correctly, try checking your device settings next to make sure they are not causing the issue.
Following these steps should surely fix your issue once and for all. If you are still facing the same problem, you can check your input and output devices or your internet connection to make sure they are working well.
⇾ Discord Push to Talk not working
⇾ Discord Search Not Working on PC and Mobile
⇾ Best Discord Servers to Make Friends
⇾ Twitch Error 2000 on Chrome