How to Mute Discord Notifications? - Turn off or Disable Discord Notification!
Too many notifications and updates from Discord? Worry not! Cause this guide will teach you how to mute Discord notifications in a second! Let's get into it then!
Discord, arguably one of the most popular messaging apps across the world, has been going strong for several years now - thanks to cool features like in-app streaming, custom scripts for servers, etc.
While it is a great way to connect and communicate with fellow members of your community, Discord can sometimes get overwhelming.
But, did you know that you could turn off those updates whenever you want to take a break? Well, it’s possible, and here’s how to mute Discord notifications.
To mute notifications of a discord server:
- Open 'Discord' application.
- Right-click on the server.
- Select 'Notification Settings'.
- Toggle 'ON' the mute server.
Table of Contents
- How to mute Discord notifications for the entire server?
- How to turn off Discord notifications for specific channels?
- How to mute Discord notifications for individual users?
- [Windows] How to mute Discord notifications without changing the settings on Discord?
- [Mac] Disable Discord notifications without changing settings on Discord?
- How to disable Discord notifications sent via Email?
- [Android] How to turn off Discord notifications on mobile devices?
- [IOS] How to turn off Discord notifications on mobile devices?
- Win your game and don't let notifications get in the way!
Well, muting server notifications can be achieved very simply on Discord. All you have to do is follow these simple steps to turn off discord notifications quickly!
- Use your credentials to sign in to your profile on Discord.
- Now, right-click on the server you wish to turn off notifications for.
- In the dropdown menu, select the "Notification Settings" option.
- In the following screen, you will be presented with a variety of options to choose from.
- Selecting a particular setting will dictate how mute works on the respective server. Read on to know more about these settings:
Here, you'll find the different names of servers you are part of on the left-hand side of your Discord home screen.
- Mute Server ➝ Click on ‘Mute server’ to stop all notifications from the chosen server.
- Server Notification Settings ➝ Click on ‘Server notification settings’ to choose the kind of notifications you’d like to receive while turning off the rest.
- Suppress @everyone & @here ➝ Click on ‘Suppress @everyone and @here’ to mute updates that involve these commands.
- Suppress All Role Mentions ➝ Click on ‘Suppress all role @mentions’ to mute all notifications containing @mentions for the server like @admin or @mod.
- Mobile Push Notifications ➝ Click on ‘Mobile push notifications’ to receive notifications on your mobile phone connected to your profile on Discord.
You can decide the time period for which you want the notifications to be disabled completely - 15 minutes, 1 hour, 8 hours, 1 day or until you manually turn off mute.
For instance, you can decide if you only want updates when someone @mentions you.
In case you are unaware, @everyone sends a notification to all the members in the current server and using @here sends a notification to all such members online.
- This feature will help you get notifications that really mean to you while also ignoring the background noise.
- To make use of this feature, Go to 'Notification Settings' ➝ Scroll & Tap on the drop-down menu under 'Notification Overrides'.
Follow the steps below to turn off discord notifications for single or multiple channels you are a member of:
- Choose the channel you wish to mute notifications for and right-click on its name in the list of channels.
- In the menu that appears next, hover over the ‘Mute channel’ option.
- You will be able to choose the time period for which you can mute the channel notifications.
- Find the title of the category you want to mute on the channel list.
- Now, right-click on the title and hover over the ‘Mute category’ option in the dropdown menu.
- Choose the desired length of time and you are good to go!
- Find the user’s name on the right-hand side menu of your Discord screen.
- Now, right-click on the specific user’s profile icon.
- In the popup menu that appears next, click on ‘Mute’. This will disable all notifications from the respective user until you manually turn them back on.
- Click on the ‘Start’ button on the Windows taskbar.
- Open settings and then, click on ‘System’.
- Scroll down to find ‘Notifications’ on the same page.
- You will be presented with multiple applications notification settings. You can turn off the notifications of ‘Discord’ by checking off the toggle option.
- Open the Apple menu on your Mac.
- Choose ‘system preferences’ from the list.
- Now, click on notifications and then select ‘notification preferences’ in the list.
- Then, toggle off ‘Allow notifications’ when you find Discord in the list of apps.
- Open the Discord application on your mobile device.
- Tap on the name of the server you wish to mute.
- Tap on the 'three-dots' icon in the top right corner.
- Tap on the 'bell' icon which is the notification settings.
- Customize to mute your discord notifications as per your needs.
- Long-press on the channel name you wish to mute.
- Tap on the 'Mute Category' icon in the pop-up menu.
- Choose on the preferred timing until which you want it muted.
- Swipe left on the home screen of Discord on your mobile, you will be able to see the following screen with the chats & servers.
- Long press the profile of the user you wish to mute.
- Tap on 'Mute Channel' in the pop-up menu.
- Click on the comfortable time-period you wish to mute notifications in the pop-up menu.
- Open 'Settings' on your mobile device.
- Scroll and tap on 'Notifications'.
- From the list of apps displayed, de-select Discord to stop notifications.
- Open 'Settings' on your IOS device.
- Scroll and tap on 'Notifications' to open the related settings.
- Now, you should scroll and find Discord in the list of apps.
- Tap on Discord and choose the type of notifications you wish to receive.
This list is visible on the left-hand side of your Discord screen.
It could range from 15 minutes to until you manually turn off the mute option for the channel.
Now, if you want to mute a bunch of channels under a select category (like audio channels etc.), follow these steps:
Here’s how you can mute individual users rather than the entire server or channel:
In case you don’t have the time to change the settings on Discord, you can directly turn off Discord notifications on your PC. Here’s how:
This step disables all Discord notifications on your Mac until you manually turn them on again.
To mute the entire server on discord:
To mute a specific channel on discord:
To mute specific users on discord:
Although there is no specific way to mute a specific user, you can block them with the following method:
If you are looking to mute each and every notification from Discord, do it with the following simple steps:
The steps to turn off notifications within discord is the same as that of Android above. You can follow these steps.
But, if you wish to turn the whole Discord notifications off, follow these steps:
- Discord sends notifications via email messages whenever you receive direct messages while you are offline.
- While such emails can come in handy, they can also prove annoying especially if you don’t like to have a lot of unread emails in your inbox.
Fortunately, these notifications can also be disabled permanently or until you like.
- Open any of the email notifications you received from Discord.
- Scroll down and you will be able to find the ‘turn off notifications’ link in the same message itself.
- Pressing on the link will take you to another page requesting your confirmation.
It is most likely present at the bottom of the email.
Once you confirm that you no longer wish to receive notifications via email, Discord automatically discontinues sending them.
While communicating with fellow players and using interactive features on Discord can be fun, there are some games where continuous communication might be unnecessary.
In such cases, disabling notifications can help you focus better on the game at hand. Just follow our step-by-step instructions and you will be free from any unwanted distractions on Discord!
Lastly, if you face any issues with your discord notifications, here's a quick guide to troubleshoot it.