Download Facebook Messenger Conversation - How to download Facebook messages?
Learn how to download Facebook Messenger conversations with the help of our step-by-step guide. Download from Messenger as well as the web app.
If you’ve used Facebook Messenger to text someone extensively and wanted to refer to some old texts between the two of you, it can be frustrating to scroll through hundreds of old messages and find the one you’re looking for. Hence, having a single file with all the messages between you and your friend would be a lot easier, as you can transfer it to a word processor and search for text quickly. If you’re wondering if there’s a way to do this, then you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll show you exactly how to download a Facebook Messenger conversation.
Downloading conversations on Facebook is fairly simple. To download Facebook Messenger conversations, in the Messenger app, click on your name at the top left corner, go to ‘Account Settings’ → ‘Download your Information’ → ‘Deselect All’. Now, select ‘Messages’ from the list, specify file details and press ‘Create File’. You should soon be able to download a copy of the file from the available copies.
If the above steps were tough to follow, then worry not. Below we’ve given a step-by-step guide on how to download conversations on Facebook.
Download Facebook Messenger Conversation
On the Facebook Messenger mobile app
To download a Facebook Messenger conversation on the Messenger mobile app,
- To download Facebook Messenger conversations, open Messenger and click on your profile picture at the top left of the screen, beside the ‘Chats’ heading.
- Now, in the menu shown, go to the ‘Account’ section. Here, click on the ‘Account Settings’ option.
- Here, scroll to the ‘Your information’ section and click on ‘Download your Information’.
- On the following screen, go to the ‘Request Copy’ tab. As seen, all the options would be selected by default.
- Press the ‘Deselect All’ option, scroll down to ‘Messages’, and select only that.
- Next, at the bottom of the page, specify the Date range, Format and Media Quality. Press ‘Create File’.
- Your file should be ready in a few seconds or minutes depending on the amount of data.
- You will be taken to the ‘Available copies’ tab when the file creation is in process. Press the ‘Download’ button on completion.
- Now, you will be redirected to your browser and made to log in to your Facebook account. Once you do so by entering your credentials, the zip file with your Messenger conversations will start downloading.
- To view the conversation, extract this downloaded zip file, go to ‘Messages’ → ‘Inbox’ and open the folder with the name of the person you wish to view the conversation with.
- Open the HTML file in this folder and you will be able to see the entire conversation in the order of the newest to oldest message.
On the Facebook Web App
To download Facebook messages using the Facebook web app,
- Log in to Facebook via your browser and click on the ‘Account’ option (the top right arrow).
- From the menu shown, go to ‘Settings & Privacy’ → ‘Settings’.
- On the left side menu, go to ‘Your Facebook information’ and click on ‘Download your information’.
- Here, you will see all the options checked in the ‘Request copy’ tab. Press the ‘Deselect all’ button and scroll down to select ‘Messages’.
- Scroll up, select the date range, format and media quality you desire, and press ‘Create file’.
- While your file is being created, you can continue to use Facebook. You will get a notification when the file is ready for download.
- Click on this notification and press ‘Download’. Now, enter your password in the popup shown, and your zip file will be downloaded.
- Extract the downloaded zip file to access your messages on Facebook.
Third-party apps you can use to download your Facebook Messenger conversations
If you find the above process extremely lengthy and inconvenient, you can easily make use of some third-party tools to do so.
The Chrome Web Store has an extension called ‘Message/Chat Downloader’ which can be made use of for this purpose. However, as it is a Chrome extension, you can only use it on the Chrome Computer App, and not on your Messenger mobile application.