How to find someone on Snapchat - 3 ways to find people on Snapchat
Learn how to find people on Snapchat in 3 different ways. Find people even if you don’t have their usernames.
How to find someone on Snapchat?
Find people on Snapchat in any of the following ways:
- Press the search icon in the Snapchat app and start typing the username, you'll see a list of suggestions.
- Click on your profile icon and tap the 'Find friend on Snapchat' button to sync your phone contacts who use the app.
- Tell them to show their Snapcode by clicking on the profile icon, scan it through Snapchat camera. Or ask them to share it with you so you can add them.
Snapchat offers users a simple way to connect with their friends, family, or followers. Through its easy and simple feature of sending snaps to users, it connects people across the world. With 230mn+ annual users, it is giving competition to the likes of Facebook and Instagram.
If you have used the app, you know how amazing Snapchat can be for connecting with friends. But, it can also be confusing to find people you know on Snapchat. It could be that you want to find a certain high school classmate, and can't seem to figure out how. To help with this, the app offers many ways through which you can find people you know on Snapchat.
In the below sections, find exactly how to find someone on Snapchat even if you don't have their usernames. Do check out all the 3 ways you can find people on Snapchat and pick what works best for you.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Sync phone contacts
- Search by username and autosuggestions
- Scan user’s snapcode
- Profile Links
- Quick add option
- Finding other Snapchat users
- FAQ: Notification when added
How to find someone on Snapchat through phone contacts
- Open Snapchat on your phone and press your profile icon shown at the top of the screen
- Right below your Snap icon and username, you will see an option to find friends on Snapchat. Click on this to sync your contacts with the app.
- Or, click on the 'Add friends' icon on the Snapchat home screen, then the 'All contacts' button to sync contacts.
- Press continue and allow Snapchat to view your contacts. Do this by selecting the valid option in the popup on your device.
- Now, if you press the 'Add Friends' button, you will be able to see all the users in your contacts who have Snapchat.
- Press the 'Add' button to send a request to these users.
- You can invite contacts who aren't using Snapchat by pressing the 'Invite' button shown in the list.
Find people on Snapchat using the Search feature
- Open the Snapchat app and tap the magnifying glass/ search button at the top of the screen.
- In the search bar, start typing the name or username of the user you wish to search for
- After typing three letters, you should see suggestions for people you can add. Continue typing if the user doesn't appear. Press the 'Add' button when you find the user you'd been looking for.
- You can also press the 'View More' button to see other users with a similar username if you don't remember the exact one.
On tapping the search button, you should also be able to see a list of users in the 'Quick Add' section. You can press the 'View More' button to see a list of suggested users. Press the 'Add' button to send a request to these users. These are auto-suggestions based on your existing Friends list, Contacts, and location.
Scan user’s Snapcode to add them to Snapchat in person
If you are in contact with the user in person, you can use their Snap code to add them on Snapchat.
- When in-person, tell the user to open Snapchat and click on their profile icon.
- Now, they'll need to click on the Snap icon to show the code.
- You can open your Snapchat app and position the camera to capture this icon. There's no need to take a picture.
- Snapchat will scan this code, and after scanning, it will show this user's profile on your screen; you can then press the 'Add friend' button.
Add users on Snapchat through the profile link or Snapcode (not in person)
Scanning the code doesn't require the user to be present nearby. They can also share a picture of their Snapcode as given here.
- Ask the user to open Snapchat and click on the profile icon.
- Now, they'd need to press the 'Share Snapcode' option.
- Next, ask them to select the app where you want to get the URL and Snap icon and share it with you.
- You'd need to save this on your device first. Now, go to the 'Add Friends' option and tap the icon shown in the search bar. Select the image from your gallery to save it.
- You can also click on the profile link shared, it will redirect you to the user's profile on Snapchat.
- Click on the 'Add friend' option to add them.
Can you find nearby friends through the 'Quick Add' option?
Earlier, Snapchat had a feature for people to find other Snapchat users nearby. This was the 'Add Nearby' feature under 'Add Friends'. Using this, it was easy to get a list of Snapchat users who lived near you. Provided they had the option enabled, of course.
But, this option is now disabled. So, you cannot find nearby users on Snapchat anymore (after 2017). You would have to use one of the above three methods to find someone on Snapchat.
Finding other users on Snapchat
If you want to find someone on Snapchat, but don't already know them in person, then this method is for you.
You can check out the Snapchat Subreddit. This is an interactive community of Snapchat users. Here, you can enter some details about yourself and find other interesting users.
Apart from this, you could also try searching for other Snapchat user communities. Based on your interests, you can find interesting and like-minded users to connect with.
FAQ: Do people get a notification when I add them?
Yes, Snapchat does notify users. If someone adds you, then you will get a notification on your phone. You can also see this by checking the 'Add Friends' screen. It's up to you if you want to connect with this user or not. They cannot send you content unless you accept the friend request. Also, to check if they've removed you after adding, take a look at this blog.