How to Whisper on Twitch? Here’s How You Can Send Private Messages.
Interested in sending a private message to a fellow streamer? Learn how to whisper on Twitch and discreetly message anybody!
Twitch, one of the most popular streaming services, was launched in 2007. This live streaming platform was initially focused on video games but quickly expanded to include streams dedicated to varied video content.
The platform is widely used to watch and stream broadcasts related to artwork creation, talk shows, music, TV series, etc. That said, Twitch does not restrict itself to merely being a video content streaming platform.
It also lets users send messages to each other while watching videos on the platform. This feature is called the ‘Whisper’.
In case you are new to the platform and are wondering how to whisper on Twitch, this article is everything you need. Let’s get started!
Table Of Contents
- What is a Twitch Whisper?
- How to Whisper on Twitch - PC/Desktop?
- How to Whisper on Twitch - Mobile? [IOS & Android]
- How To Block Twitch Whispers?
- How To Twitch Whisper A Streamer?
Here are 3 quick ways to whisper on Twitch:
- Using /w
- Whisper Button
Type /w in the chat window (of any stream) + their username + the message you wish to send Example ➝ /w @username Hey Matt, let's catch up!
Click on the Whisper button in the top right corner and select the user you wish to connect with.
To facilitate the ease of in-app communication between users, Twitch launched the ‘whisper’ feature in 2015. Here is what it enables you to do:
There are different ways in which you can begin a whisper conversation with another user on Twitch. Here’s how you can start such a conversation on the desktop:
Method 1: Type /w @username
- In the chat window of the stream chat of your choice, type /w @username followed by the message you want to whisper.
- Once done, Twitch will whisper to the person for you. By username, we imply the profile name of the respective user you want to get in touch with.
- After you use the whisper feature a few times, you will notice that Twitch begins to autocomplete the usernames of people you usually connect with.
- So, you can either choose to select the name of the user from the given list or manually type out the name you have in mind.
Method 2: Use the Whisper Button
You can find the whisper button at the top right corner of your screen. The button appears on the left of the profile icon. Here is how it works:
Method 3: Use the Chat Name Button
Alternatively, you can click on a certain user’s profile in the chat window. This will bring up a quick summary of their profile and you can find a whisper button in there.
Clicking on the whisper option opens a whisper chat box between you and the user.
It will also show the chat history (if any). You can just type your message and hit enter to send the whisper.
Here’s how you can whisper to someone on Twitch using a smartphone:
Method 1: Click on Their Username
Whispering someone on the mobile app is similar to that of the process on the desktop.
If you want to whisper to someone who is currently on the same channel as you are, you can click on their name.
This will bring up a menu of options, and choose ‘whisper’ among them. Type your message in the chatbox and hit send.
Method 2: Whisper Social Icon
Alternatively, you can click on the social icon/whisper button on the top right corner of the mobile screen.
It will bring up the list of your friends and you can switch to the whispers tab immediately.
Select the user you want to communicate with and click on the ‘Start a whisper’ button to type your message and hit send.
Although knowing how to whisper on Twitch is important. It is also important to know how to block unwanted users from whispering, ie sending a private message to you. Because there is always the possibility of being harassed or the presence of someone you don't like.
Here is how you can block someone on Twitch:
Method 1: Through The Channel Chat
- Click on the name of the person in the channel chat.
- In the profile summary that is opened, click on the 'more' icon.
- Click on 'Block User' to block.
Method 2: Through The Mobile App
Block From Username
Block From Whisper Window
You can follow the above steps to Twitch whisper a streamer. But, note that most of the streamers will have the whisper turned off. This is due to the overflooding messages from the audience that they usually get.
But, sometimes, the private streams & paid ones enable the audience to whisper with the streamer. Check out the stream settings fixed by the streamer to know more.
There you go! Now, you are equipped with everything you need to know about how to whisper on Twitch like a PRO. This feature can be quite useful for gamers looking for teammates in gaming streams and lives.
1. Can I view multiple Twitch whispers at the same time?
Ans. Yes, you will be able to view multiple Twitch whispers at the same time given that you have multiple Twitch chat windows open.
2. Can I have a group message on a Twitch whisper?
Ans. No, Twitch does not allow multiple users to stay on in a single thread of Twitch whisper. Hence the name 'Whisper' where only two parties are involved.
3. Am I restricted to Twitch whisper the users only on my channel?
Ans. No, Twitch whispers are global. So, you can whisper to anyone using the above-mentioned steps in the article.
4. Will I be able to send a Twitch whisper to a person who has blocked me?
Ans. No, Twitch does not allow you to interact with the people who have blocked you.