How to See Sensitive Content on Twitter?
Came across a tweet or image marked ‘this tweet might include sensitive content’? Read this article to get rid of such safety warnings and learn how to see sensitive content on Twitter.
Have you ever seen an error message that said “This tweet might include sensitive content” on Twitter? If you did, we are sure that you have wondered why.
It happens because Twitter blocks some tweets that people make with a ‘potentially sensitive warning’. The social media giant has several safety tools that do not reveal certain types of content to viewers.
If you don’t mind viewing such kind of content but are unsure as to how to see sensitive content on Twitter, you have arrived at the right place.
In this article, we will guide you through a series of easy-to-follow steps that will help you see your Twitter feed as you like. Let us get started.
Table Of Content
- What Is Sensitive Content?
- "This Tweet Might Include Sensitive Content" - What Does It Mean?
- Will I Not Be Able To See Sensitive Content On Twitter?
- How To See Sensitive Content On Twitter? [Web]
- How To See Sensitive Content On Twitter? [Android & IOS]
- How To Enable Sensitive Content On Searches?
- Turn Off The Sensitive Content Warning For Your Tweets
To turn on sensitive content on Twitter:
- Open & log in to Twitter.
- Click on 'More'.
- Go to 'Settings and Privacy'.
- Navigate & Click on 'Privacy and Safety'
- Click on 'Content you see'.
- Check the box ‘Display media that may contain sensitive content’.
Twitter hosts a variety of content that is posted across tweets, images, videos and live streams. You can find almost anything and everything on the platform.
There are accounts that promote kids’ content, memes, official information etc. Similarly, there is no dearth of violent or adult content on Twitter.
So, how does Twitter identify sensitive content in this ocean of information?The social media giant has guidelines that set apart sensitive content from the rest. According to Twitter, ‘potentially sensitive content is content that other users might not wish to see - such as nudity or violence'.
Whenever you come across tweets that depict inappropriate content or violence, you are shown a warning that says:
‘This media may contain sensitive material. Your media settings are configured to warn you when media may be sensitive’.
Similar to that, when you see a profile that posts such kind of content regularly, you are likely to see a warning that says:
‘This profile may include potentially sensitive content. You’re seeing this warning because they Tweet potentially sensitive images or language. Do you still want to view it?’
No, this is just Twitter’s style giving you a heads-up before you view something it deems sensitive. You can either choose to not view it or disable this warning altogether on your devices.
In that case, you will not receive such warnings and your feed will be customized as per your preferences.
You can disable the ‘Sensitive content’ warnings by going through Twitter’s privacy settings. Twitter is compatible with desktop browsers and mobile devices.
To enable viewing sensitive content on Twitter, you should:
- Head to Twitter’s website and log in with your credentials.
- Once you sign in to your account, click on the ‘More button’. You can find it on the left side of the home screen. It is represented by three dots in a circle.
- In the following menu that appears, select the ‘Settings and Privacy’ option.
- On the screen that appears next, you will see a list of options on the left. Navigate to ‘Privacy and Safety’ and click on it.
- Then, click on ‘Content you see’. You will find this option on the right side of the screen.
- Now, look at the top of the screen, check the box that is right next to the ‘Display media that may contain sensitive content’ to disable ‘potentially sensitive content’ warnings for tweets you come across.
Voila! You will no longer be able to see such warnings.
To avoid the message of this tweet might include sensitive content on your Twitter feed:
- Open the Twitter application on your mobile device.
- Tap on the profile to view more options.
- Scroll and tap on 'Settings and Privacy'.
- Navigate and go to 'Privacy and Safety'.
- Tap on the option 'Content you see'.
- Tick the checkbox that says 'Display media that may contain sensitive content'.
You will be able to enable it on your Twitter Android Application and Web Application. But, unfortunately, it is not possible on IOS devices.
To enable sensitive content on searches in your Android App, follow these steps from 1 to 5. To see all search results, uncheck the box ‘Hide Sensitive Content’ and you are good to go!
If you want to enable sensitive content on search via Web Application :
- Go to Twitter's official website.
- Click on 'More' to see more options.
- Go to 'Settings and Privacy' which contains application and privacy settings.
- Tap on 'Privacy and Safety' that concerns your privacy on Twitter.
- Click 'Content You See' wherein the content on your Twitter feed can be configured.
- Go To 'Search Settings' to modify it.
- Uncheck the box on 'Hide Sensitive Content'.
If Twitter is marking your tweets as 'Sensitive' content, you certainly have a way out. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Open the Twitter application.
- Click on 'More' to view multiple options.
- Go to 'Settings and Privacy' in it.
- Click on 'Privacy and Safety' to modify your privacy-oriented settings.
- Go to the 'Your Tweets' option that controls how your tweet is processed.
- Uncheck the checkbox that says 'Mark Media You Tweet as Containing Material That May Be sensitive'.
NOTE: If Twitter finds out you are taking advantage of this feature, yet you post sensitive content, you might be blocked to use this feature in the future.
But, instead of completely removing the content from their website it allows the user to control what they see. So Twitter simply puts a layer of "This Tweet Might Include Sensitive Content" so you can either choose to see it or not.
Hence, you can either turn your sensitive content viewing 'ON' or 'OFF' as you wish. Follow the above-mentioned steps to take control of what you see on Twitter.
In any case, allowing users to protect their info on social media apps is extremely important. In the past, we have written guides on Instagram stalker apps & ways to see if someone has taken a screenshot of your story on Insta!