How to reply to a message on Instagram - Reply to Insta DMs easily!
Responding to texts can be a hassle. But don't worry! You can find out how to reply to a message on Instagram in this article! We've made it easy for you.
Is there no way around it? Well, there is! You can reply to specific messages on Insta easily now! Quote and reply to individual messages by using the ‘Swipe to reply to messages’ feature.
Believe us, we know how painful group chats can be!
Let's waste no more time and dive right away!
Table of Contents
- What is an Instagram DM?
- Update Instagram messages option
- How to reply to a message on Instagram- iOS
- iOS Shortcut- How to reply to a message on Instagram
- How to reply to a message on Instagram- Android
- Android Shortcut- How to reply to a message on Instagram
- How to reply to a message on Instagram- Desktop
What is an Instagram DM?
But first. What even is a DM?
Further, you can send photos, videos, or texts easily to whoever you want using direct messages! Isn't it a great way to stay connected with friends and family?
It even lets you reply to people’s stories. Like a meme, DM! Like a reel? DM!!
Update Instagram messages option
Before we begin, you must note, that this new feature is now available as an update within the Instagram app. So, just ensure you have the latest version of Instagram installed on your device.
Once the update is available, an “Introducing Cross-App Messaging” banner will appear at the top of your Insta timeline. Open the notification and tap "Update" to get Messenger features on Instagram.
Note that the old version of Instagram won’t be available after updating. In case, you dismissed the update notification by mistake, follow these steps:
- Go to Instagram Settings.
- Click the “Update Messaging” option at the top.
- Tap ‘Update’ on the page that says ‘There’s a new way to message on Instagram’.
- Once messaging has been updated, the DM icon at the top right of the Instagram app will be replaced with the Messenger icon.
Without further ado let's answer the question- how to reply to a message on Instagram?
How to reply to a message on Instagram- iOS
Worry not. The process is easy peasy! Here's how to reply to a message on Instagram for iPhone users.
- From the feed, tap the messenger icon at the upper right corner of your screen to access messages.
- Select the private or group conversation from your messages.
- Find the specific message you want to respond to.
- Swipe right on the message until you see an arrow icon.
- The message box opens.
- You’ll now see the selected message attached above the text input box.
- Type in your reply and send it.
Whenever you pick a message to respond to, it displays in quotes to know which message you are referring to within the conversation.
Otherwise, simply pressing reply first at the bottom sends your message by itself. We'll elaborate on this too!
iOS Shortcut- How to reply to a message on Instagram
To respond to a specific message on Instagram, you can also use the following method:
- Navigate to your profile tab, then to Settings, to update your direct message version. Choose “Update Messaging.”
- Return to your feed and open your direct messages by tapping the upper right corner of your screen.
- Locate a conversation that contains the message to which you want to respond.
- When you’ve found the message you’re looking for, tap and hold it. Choose “Reply” from the list of options.
- The selected message will be displayed above the text input box at the bottom of your screen. Enter your response and click the Send button.
How to reply to a message on Instagram- Android
Replying to a specific Instagram message on an Android is like iPhone. Here’s how to do it-
- From your Instagram feed, tap the paper airplane icon in the upper right corner of your screen to access messages.
- Open a conversation and find the message you wish to reply to.
- Tap and hold the message until you see three action options appear.
- Select “Reply.” The message you’re responding to will appear above the text input box.
- Type in your reply. When you send it, the message will be attached to your reply.
Android Shortcut- How to reply to a message on Instagram
Also, you can respond to messages on Instagram using a different method:
- Open your Instagram feed.
- Tap the messages icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Find a conversation containing the message you want to reply to.
- Tap and hold the message, then swipe it to the right.
- Type in your reply.
How To Reply to a Specific Message on Instagram- Desktop
The new Instagram feature is available on Instagram’s desktop version, too. Here’s how to reply to messages on Instagram on a PC:
- Open Instagram on your computer.
- From the feed, click the messenger icon located at the top of the screen.
- Open a conversation and find the message you wish to respond to.
- Click on the curved arrow to reply.
- Type in your reply and send it. The message you respond to will be attached to your message.
Now that you know how to respond to specific messages from a particular sender on Instagram, your communication with friends should become more understandable.
Moreover, make sure to keep your Instagram up to date by enabling automatic updates. If the feature is unavailable in your region, keep checking if Instagram has found a way to work with European data privacy laws.
Finally, Facebook has integrated Instagram and Messenger. Now Insta DM has a slew of new features from Messenger.
Add colourful chat themes, custom emoji reactions, message replies and forwarding, selfie stickers, vanish mode, animated message effects, and Messenger’s Watch Together feature and what not!
So, Your communication with friends will improve now. Enable automatic updates on Instagram to keep it up to date.