120+ Best Snapchat usernames and all you need to know
Your Snapchat username can make a big difference in your user experience. Find out all you need to know about Snapchat usernames and some amazing ideas for Snapchat usernames in this article.
Since its initial launch in 2011, Snapchat has come a long way and is now one of the most loved social media applications. With over 265 million daily active users, it’s not very far behind the likes of Facebook or WhatsApp. It gave a whole new dimension to social media by encouraging users to communicate through snaps.
Snapchat allows users to communicate with their friends as well as followers worldwide and can be an important tool to make an impact. As such, it’s understandable that users would want to brand themselves in the best way possible. Your name is what people identify you with and hence your Snapchat username is going to surely have an impact on your Snapchat identity.
Knowing what your Snapchat username can do, you’d obviously want only the best ones. Below, we’ve explained all you need to know about Snapchat usernames along with some of the best ideas for a Snapchat username.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Display name vs username
- Can you change your username on snapchat?
- Why you need a good username
- How to choose a name
- What if the name isn’t available
- Points to note
- Good snapchat names
- Snapchat names for Girls
- Snapchat names for Boys
Display Name vs Username on Snapchat
Your Snapchat username is the name you set when you first set up your account on Snapchat. It is unique and can be made use of by people to find you on Snapchat.
Your display name, on the other hand, is the name that would normally show up in the contact list of other users. This isn’t unique.
To check what your username and display name are, open Snapchat and click on the Profile icon at the top of the screen. Now, you will be shown an overview of your profile as shown in the below screenshot.
Your Snapchat avatar will be shown at the top, followed by the Display name. Below this, you will be able to see your username and score. Mostly, your display name will be plain letters whereas your username would be a combination of numbers and letters, with no space.
Can you change your username on Snapchat?
Usernames on Snapchat are unique to every user. You can not change your username on Snapchat owing to security reasons. Snapchat has also made it impossible to transfer data, Snapstreaks or Memories from a given username to another one.
You can, however, change your display name on Snapchat. To do so,
- Open Snapchat and click on the Profile icon at the top of the screen
- Click on the gear icon to access your account settings. Here you will be shown the display name, username, birthdate, and mobile number.
- Click on the display name shown. Now, you can either change it or remove it as you wish.
- Press ‘Save’ to confirm your changes.
Note that the people who’ve earlier added you as a friend will continue to see the old name. Similarly, the users who have you in their phonebook contact may see the name they’ve saved if the contacts are synced. New people you add will be shown the new display name.
If you are still adamant about your username, then it’s best to delete the account and create a new one. You will however have to forsake all your earlier data. Before going all the way, keep a number of usernames handy in case the one you want isn’t available.
Why you need a good Snapchat username?
Snapchat usernames enable people to find you with ease on Snapchat. These are unique and can have a big impact on building your brand on the app, particularly if you want to use it for marketing or to increase your following. Your username is personal to you and you’d want other users who click on your profile to remember the name so that they can share your profile with ease.
If someone does try to find your profile using your display name, there’s a good chance that they’d end up following the wrong person. After all, display names are not unique. It then becomes very important to have a username that is easy to remember as well as impactful.
Note that if you accidentally delete your Snapchat account or it gets banned, the username will not be available any longer.
How to choose Snapchat usernames
To make sure you have the best name on Snapchat, you need to be sure about what you need it for and the audience you want to reach.
As a brand that is trying to use Snapchat to increase sales and reach more customers, you’d need to make sure that the name showcases what your brand stands for. It should be easily identifiable and at the same time impactful.
If you are using Snapchat to simply connect with friends and family, then it’d probably be enough to use your own name as your username. Of course, you can pick one from our list below and show off like a boss :)
You should choose a name that works well for you. Ie, one that satisfies both, the purpose you are using the app for and also makes you happy. You can maybe have your brand name as the username or just use a spin-off of your own name.
What if the username isn’t available
Snapchat usernames, being unique, may sadly be unavailable. You could have a perfect Snapchat username in mind but when you try to select it when setting up your account, realise that it’s already been taken. What do you do in such a situation, then?
If a name you want isn’t available, Snapchat will recommend a few alternatives that you could make use of. These may not be the exact thing you had in mind but can be a good option nonetheless. You could perhaps put in your birthdate at the end of the username and make it unique. If you are using Snapchat as a brand, then having the launch date as a part of the username would also be a good idea.
It can be a bummer if the exact username that you wanted isn’t available, but that does not mean you can not pick the next best one on the list. So go ahead and try out various permutations and combinations on the username you want to use and keep a few backup options handy.
Points to note
- Make sure that the name you use is simply great. People across the globe can form an impression using just your name (even though this could be gravely false). So it’s important to make your username impactful and great. Try asking yourself questions about what instances can make you regret the name and then pick one which you’d not regret, or at least, have the least regret due to.
- Keep it simple - Have a username that you and your audience can connect with. Keep it short and sweet. Definitely do not set some username that even you can’t remember if you’d need to ask a lot of people to follow you on Snapchat. Shorter names would be easier to remember and can save you and others the effort of putting in a lot of thought to simply remember a name.
- Explore - Let’s adopt the YOLO mindset here. You set your Snapchat username only once (unless you use a different account, that is). Don’t make it boring. Have fun with setting your username and explore some amazing ones. You can, after all, change your display name later. Your name may affect the brand image, but it does not mean that you can not build up your reputation later through how you make use of Snapchat.
Knowing all this, what username should you finally use? The decision can be quite confusing to make. However, it doesn’t have to be hard. We’ve put together an amazing list of the best Snapchat usernames below. Feel free to pick any you like and play around with it to come up with the best username for your purpose. You could even combine one of the below names along with your own to make it better. For example, if your name is Joe and you like the name ‘Agent’, then something like agent_joe would surely make an impact.
Good Snapchat usernames for Individuals and brands
Snapchat names for Girls
Snapchat names for Boys