‘You're Not Eligible to Create a Username’ Error? Here’s How to Fix It.
Catchy usernames are fun, interesting and easy to remember! In today’s digital era, they are all the more important. Besides, adding a fun quotient to our profile can significantly contribute to building a brand image online. However, we are almost always unsure of the username when creating a page on Facebook.
Most of us change the usernames after a short period of time, when we have new ideas. If you have ever tried to change the username of your Facebook page and you saw a ‘you're not eligible to create a username’ message on the screen, this article is for you.If you see a ‘you're not eligible to create a username’ message on screen, set Page roles for your Facebook page to resolve the issue.
Table of Contents
- What are Facebook usernames?
- What are the guidelines for creating a username on Facebook?
- Why does the error occur?
- How to resolve the ‘you're not eligible to create a username’ error?
- How to check page roles on facebook for mobile?
- Importance of having a username on Facebook
What Are Facebook Usernames?
In simple terms, your Facebook username is the web address of your profile/page on the platform. It establishes your identity across the platform. You could either create your own username or select one from the ones Facebook suggests. Usernames are generally a variation of your name, for example, anna321 or jake653.
A username lets others know you and associate your likes, comments and other activity with your profile. Moreover, it also makes it easier for other users to connect with you directly.
Facebook allows you to create a username for your page when you sign up. This username lets you:
- Create custom links
For example: you can add links like (https://www.facebook.com/Anna3214561) to your profile.These links could be shared with other friends on external sites with ease. However, some people can see the ‘you're not eligible to create a username’ error on the screen.
In such a case, you are forced to stick to the generic URL that Facebook assigns to your page. You will not be able to create a unique profile username and URL. This may happen due to reasons discussed in the sections below.
- Get access to public information about someone on Facebook.
For instance, if your username is ‘Anna3214561’, your friends can go to the respective custom link to view your profile and any public information you have added. However, please note that you can control the information you share publicly.
What are the guidelines for creating a username on Facebook?
There are certain guidelines that you have to follow when creating a username for your profile/page on Facebook. They are as follows:
- You can only have one username for your profile/page on Facebook. Besides, you need to choose a unique one for your profile,i.e., you cannot have a username that is already being used by someone else. Facebook tells you when you create a username similar to the existing ones.
- Each username can contain alphanumeric characters and fullstops. However, it cannot have generic terms or extensions like (.net, .com).
- Every username should have a minimum of five characters.
- All usernames appear in small letters, i.e., you cannot create a unique username by capitalizing a few of the letters. For instance, ‘Anna321’ and ‘anna321’ are the same. Similarly, you cannot add full stops to differentiate usernames.
- No username should be created in an attempt to impersonate someone.
- In addition to the aforementioned guidelines, each username should also adhere to the terms and conditions enlisted by Facebook.
Why Does the Error Occur?
Here’s a list of reasons why you might be seeing the error on Facebook:
- Your chosen username is already in use, i.e., it has been taken by someone else.
- Your username is either too short or too long. Ideally, it must be at least 5 characters long.
- It must contain alphanumeric characters.
- Your Facebook page should have a minimum of 25 likes to create a username for it.
- You must be the admin of the page to create a username.
- You must have not created more than 1 fan page recently.
- Your personal Facebook account must be verified and should not be recently created.
- You must have a username for your personal Facebook account.
- You should have made at least one post on your page.
When the above conditions are not met, Facebook only shows the error message. Unfortunately, it does not show why you are ineligible for creating a username. So, make sure to use this as a checklist when you see the error and resolve it using the tips mentioned below:
How to Resolve the ‘you're not eligible to create a username’ Error?
The best way to get rid of this error is to make sure that Facebook recognises you as the page admin. Here’s how you can do it:
- Enter your credentials and sign into Facebook.
- You will now be able to see a navigation menu on the left. From the options, click on ‘Pages’ and open your page.
- You will be able to see another left-hand navigation menu on the page screen. Scroll down and click on ‘Settings’.
- Under settings, click on ‘Page roles’.
- You can now change the username as you like. Just make sure that the account you’re trying to change the username from is set as admin. If not, click on the Edit button and assign the required permissions.
How to Check Page Roles on Facebook for Mobile?
- Login to the Facebook app on mobile. Facebook is compatible with both iOS and Android.
- Select the page you wish to check the page roles for and open page settings.
- Now, tap on ‘Page roles’.
- Make sure that the account you’re using to edit the username is labeled as Admin. If not, either edit the permission or add a new person with admin privileges using the Add Person to Page button up top.
Importance of Having a Good Username on Facebook
Usernames for Facebook pages can make all the difference, especially for businesses. This is why it is recommended to put considerable thought into finalising the username for Facebook pages. For businesses, a username should ideally convey the name of the company and what it sells.
In addition to this, having a clear username ranks better and also makes it easier for users to find your page. Besides, it is also simpler for people to tag your page and link to your Facebook page. The lack of an appropriate username can sometimes signify inauthenticity. This might also lead to your page losing a significant number of followers.
⇾ How to Get App Appearance on Snapchat? [Explained]
⇾ Why Is Facebook So Slow? Here’s How You Can Fix It.
⇾ What Does the Red Heart Mean on Snapchat?
⇾ How to Get Snapchat on Apple Watch? [Step-by-Step Guide]
⇾ ‘Try Again Later’ on Instagram? Why Are You Seeing It?
⇾ How to remove paragraph marks & hard returns in Word - Microsoft Word