How to Unlike Something on Facebook? [Explained]
Get rid of unwanted advertisements and posts on your newsfeed by learning how to unlike something on Facebook!
Did you know that an average Facebook user likes about 12 posts per month? Yes, and basic math shows that it translates to one like almost every other day. If you have wondered about the dynamics behind ads on Facebook, it is worth noting that your likes on individual posts are the primary source of data. Facebook uses this to understand your preferences.
While liking Facebook posts conveys the platform which ads you’d preferably be interested in, unliking is equally significant. ‘Unliking’ certain pages or posts that post uninteresting/offensive content will help you get rid of irrelevant advertisements on your feed. Sometimes you just want to, unlike Facebook posts.
So, how to unlike something on Facebook? Here’s how:
Table of Contents
- How to unlike something on Facebook for desktop?
- How to unlike something on Facebook for mobile?
- Understanding the mechanics of Facebook ads
- FAQs- How to unlike something on Facebook?
How to Unlike Something on Facebook for Desktop?
Here’s how to unlike a post, page or a comment on Facebook via PC:
1. Unlike a post using the Activity Log
Here's how to remove a like on Facebook through Activity Log:
- Open Facebook and click the down caret in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select “Settings & Privacy” from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Activity Log.”
- Click “Interactions.”
- Select “Likes and reactions.”
- Select the checkbox next to the post(s) you wish to unlike.
- Click the “Remove” button.
- Click “Remove” again, unlike a previously liked post.
2. How to remove a like on Facebook Posts?
- Once you log in to your profile on Facebook, locate the post you wish to ‘unlike’.
- Scroll down to see if you have liked it. In case you did, the ‘Like’ button appears highlighted in blue.
- To ‘unlike’ the post, click on the like button again (or, the icon with a thumbs-up).
- Once you unliked the respective feed item, you will notice that the like button’s colour is no longer blue and does not appear highlighted. It turns grey.
3. How to remove a like on Facebook Comments?
- In case you want to unlike a comment on a post, click on the X comments button at the bottom of a post. (X is the number of comments the respective post has received from users.)
- Locate the comment you want to ‘unlike’.
- You will observe that the thumbs-up icon near the comment appears blue if you previously liked it. Press it again and see it turn grey!
4. How to remove a like on Facebook Pages?
How to unlike something on Facebook for mobile?
Please note that the procedure to unlike a post, comment or a page on the Facebook app is the same as that of PC. The only difference lies in the interface as Facebook customizes it for a mobile-friendly experience. The rest applies the same.
If you access Facebook from the App on your smartphone, you can still unlike something on Facebook – Post, Comment or Page.
1. Unlike Facebook Posts
Here's how to remove a like from Facebook posts:
2. Unlike Facebook Comments
If you're wondering, "But how to remove a like on Facebook comments?" We have you covered!
- Open the post with the comment you previously “Liked” and want to “Unlike”. Beneath the post, click
comments. (x is the number of comments)
- Any comment you previously “Liked” will be displayed in blue. To “Unlike” a comment, click on the blue “Like” icon. It will turn grey. Compare the two images below.
3. Unlike Facebook Pages
Finally, this is how you unlike a Facebook page from the app.
- From the Facebook app on your phone, click the 3 lines on the top right of the page. Then click Pages Manager.
- Then, on the top right of "Pages", click "Liked Pages".
- A list of all the pages you “Like” will be displayed – each with a ticked “Liked” icon. To “Unlike” a page, click the “Liked” icon beside it. In this example, I will “Unlike” Argus.
- To confirm that you have “Unliked” the page, the blue tick icon will change to a grey thumbs-up icon.
Understanding the Mechanics of Facebook Ads
Most users are unaware of how advertisements on Facebook are shown. The platform basically tracks your comments, likes and shares to show you ads. It is also worth noting that when a post gets a certain amount of appreciation in the form of likes, it will appear on your timeline even if you have restricted such content.
Facebook also uses the information on your profile to analyze which ads you’d prefer watching on your feed. The information includes your location, age, page likes, app usage trends and even data from sites you visit on mobile.
If you have ever thought about why Facebook ads seem specifically targeted at you, it is because they are! Facebook tracks your online and offline behaviour. For instance, if you previously liked a post related to ‘home appliances’, you will see ads that are related to the same category.
Or, if you added ‘Animals’ as an interest to your profile, you might see ads about animal adoption. This is why unliking posts or pages you are not interested in help. Facebook no longer remembers it as your choice and you will be shown such unwanted ads again.
FAQs - How to unlike something on Facebook?
1. What happens after unliking or liking something on Facebook?
If you visit a Facebook profile, you might ‘like’ a post. If you accidentally like and then unlike a post, it's ok. The person will not receive a notification of the ‘like’ if you unlike quickly. If the user is active on his phone and you took too long to unlike it, they will be alerted. The notifications are immediately removed from their device if they are not using their device. Even if they check their Facebook notifications, they will not see it.
Keeping your phone on ‘aeroplane’ mode helps if you have a habit of accidentally liking something. Now your likes will not register since you are offline.
2. Why do people ‘unlike’ something on Facebook?
There can be a lot of reasons why someone decides to, unlike Facebook posts or pages. One reason is too much self-promoting and ads. Instead of informing your viewer and using a pull strategy, you show too many ads.
3. How many people ‘like’ and ‘unlike’ your Facebook Page?
Facebook ‘page Insights’ has made tracking people who unliked your Facebook page easy. There you can see how many people liked and unliked your page. Also, under insights, click ‘page views’ to see how many people viewed your page.
Now that you know how to remove a like on Facebook, it will be easier for you to keep your newsfeed free of irrelevant and intrusive ads. Another strategy would be to ‘unlike’ status updates, photos, and comments on Facebook if they don’t interest you or contain unwanted information.